A Message from Consumer Action

Consumer Action's MoneyWi$e educational materials have moved to our Managing Money Project website. Here you may view, download and order bulk copies of the MoneyWi$e materials. Please make a note of the Managing Money Project address— www.managing-money.org —and add it to your address book.

Help Desk FAQ



What are Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs)?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. The IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have - and are not eligible to obtain - a Social Security Number (SSN). ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both residents and nonresidents may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code. Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

For more information about how to obtain an ITIN, visit the IRS website:

English: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

Spanish: https://www.irs.gov/spanish/numero-de-identificacion-personal-del-contribuyente-itin


Quick Menu

Support Consumer Action

Support Consumer

Join Our Email List

Optional Member Code
Facebook FTwitter T

MoneyWise Modules

Managing Money Topics

Help Desk